Tonics are one of my favorite kinds of recipes because they are how I can incorporate dietary supplements in a way that both tastes delicious and gets absorbed quicker than a capsule. One of the issues I am always working on is my gut health. After spending years with countless bottles of both OTC and prescription pills I couldn't pronounce, I have finally found ingredients that I feel comfortable with/understand that are even more effective in calming my digestive system. More importantly, I have found natural remedies that do not just calm my digestion, but actually get at the root cause and heal my gut.
This recipe includes many of these calming and healing ingredients. They are blended in a creamy, comforting drink with warming spices that are known to increase the flow of qi in the body. Coconut butter not only tastes incredible, but is an anti-inflammatory ingredient along with ginger, cinnamon and turmeric, which combined do wonders for digestion. It is important to add a bit of ground black pepper to the drink before and/or after blending, as it activates the turmeric and makes it more effective.
Now let's get to the real gut healing star of this drink... Beef Gelatin. I know what you are thinking.... "Beef Gelatin"?! But trust me when I tell you that it will be a game changer in sealing your gut lining AND literally tastes like nothing. The tasteless/odorless powder can be easily mixed into any hot liquid and is perfect in tonics like the one below! I am so excited for you to try incorporating it into your diet that I have teamed up with Vital Proteins to give you a chance to win a container of their pasture-raised, grass-fed bovine hide Beef Gelatin powder. For the next week, you can enter the giveaway by following the instructions on my instagram photo of this drink!
Ingredients for 1 Tonic:
- 1.5 cups hot water (not boiling!)
- 2 tbsp melted coconut butter
- 10g Vital Proteins Beef Gelatin Powder
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 pinch of ground black pepper
- Heat water on the stove while melting the coconut butter by soaking the jar in warm water
- Add all ingredients to a high speed blender and blend on high for 1 minute
- Pour into a mug and sprinkle a little bit of cinnamon and ground black pepper on top before enjoying (pepper activates the turmeric so be sure to add a pinch before and/or after blending!)