This bowl combines some of my very favorite flavors and textures. The base is similar to some of my other smoothies with a combination of avocado and banana providing creaminess. The fruit in this smoothie is tart, red cherries which provide a relief in muscle soreness and inflammation so its a great workout recovery bowl. I absolutely love cherry and almond. Usually this comes into play in pastries, but I decided to channel that into something indulgent, yet clean and super easy!
For toppings I used Natural Grocers chocolate sea salt probiotic granola which I brought home from Colorado this weekend! I also brought back some of their almond butter which somehow has the consistency of cookie dough. A little sprinkle of coconut flakes and now the gangs all here: coconut, almond, chocolate + cherry, swooooon. When I don't have granola in the house (its kind of a treat- I try to make my own crunchy blends of toppings with less sugar- I use cacao nibs and walnuts which would also be delish here!).
- 1 cup nut milk (I use my cashew milk- soak cashews 1-2 hrs+, blend with water, cinnamon + vanilla)
- 3/4 cup pitted cherries
- 1/4 frozen avocado (fresh is fine- I just freeze mind to make the smoothie thicker)
- 1/2 frozen banana (same as above- fresh is fine, frozen creamier)
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- Optional: protein powder (I like rice or hemp protein)
- Optional: Toppings- I used chocolate sea salt probiotic granola, raw coconut flakes and almond butter (a raw alternative for the granola would be raw walnuts and cacao nibs)
- Blend all ingredients except the toppings in a high speed blender. Scoop into a bowl and add desired toppings.