It's finally starting to feel like Fall, which means it's time for some warming, feel-good foods. Starting my day with a bowl of oats often feels like dessert and makes me feel warm and satiated. As with smoothies, it is good to incorporate fiber, good fat and protein, so keep that in mind in playing with your own variations. I have included cashew milk, oats, coconut yogurt, chia seeds, bee pollen and oats to make sure to have all of those balanced components. Keep it low sugar by adding vanilla and cinnamon for flavor, rather than brown sugar or other added sweeteners like many store bought packets include. The cashew milk instead of water and coconut yogurt stirred in at the end make it extra creamy and delicious.
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 cup cashew milk (or any milk of choice)
- 2-3 sliced figs (fruit is great for flavor and fiber, but too much can pack excessive sugar)
- 1 tbsp coconut yogurt (or any favorite yogurt)
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp bee pollen
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Cinnamon to taste (I like a lot!)
- Cook oats in milk on the stove about 10 minutes by bringing the milk to a boil, then a simmer and letting the oats get creamy and thick (If you have less time- you can microwave on high for 3 minutes in a large bowl)
- Slice up the figs
- Stir cinnamon and vanilla into the oats until your desired flavor is achieved. Let the oats sit for a minute to thicken and stir again.
- Stir in the coconut yogurt and add the toppings.