This salad can be served as a side or entire meal since the quinoa in it is packed with protein. Pine nuts can be swapped for slivered almonds. Shaved Parmesan can be removed to make it vegan. If you go that route, try adding sun dried tomatoes for some extra flavor.
- Bunch of asparagus
- 1 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 1 cup of quinoa
- Pine nuts
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- olive oil
- Break off the ends of the asparagus or simply estimate and cut to be quicker. Dispose of ends then continue chopping asparagus into about inch long pieces. Mince garlic cloves and chop onion.
- While you are doing this, bring 2 cups of vegetable broth/1 cup of quinoa to a boil. Once it begins to boil, slow it down to a simmer until quinoa is finished cooking.
- Toast pine nuts in a pan on low heat while continuously shaking pan to avoid burning. As soon as you notice the slightest darkening of color, remove from pan and set aside.
- Warm olive oil in the pan, then add half of the minced garlic. After stirring for a minute, add onions and continue stirring until onions are translucent. Finally add the asparagus and store contuously until asparagus is cooked perfectly. I like to test one of the thicker parts to make sure it's cooked right before removing from heat.
- Whisk together zest and juice of the lemon, remaining garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine all ingredients, tossing the dressing with the greens, quinoa, vegetables, pine nuts and shaved Parmesan.